View the 2019 Conference information
Following the huge success of ARITA's Small-Medium Practice (SMP) Conferences in Fiji in 2016 and 2017, this year’s SMP Conference was held on-shore in Port Douglas on 19-20 April.
Focused on topics tailored to senior practitioners in smaller practices with 1-5 partners, and developed and delivered by practitioners for practitioners, the conference ran over two full days. The program combined highly relevant presentations, panel discussions and interactive, workshop-style sessions.
View the 2018 SMP Conference photo gallery
Chaired by ARITA President Ross McClymont, Partner, Ashurst, sessions and speakers included:
- Outplaying the market – Jack Crumlin, Founding Director, Norton Crumlin & Associates
- Surviving cyberattacks and other digital threats – David Smith, Director, Smithink
- Changing the way we communicate with creditors – Michelle Jakubauskas, Senior Behavioural Researcher, Behavioural Research & Policy Unit, ASIC
- Outwitting the pre-insolvency advisors – panel moderated by John Winter, CEO, ARITA
- One-year bankruptcy v Debt agreement reforms – Nicholas Giasoumi, Director, Dye & Co and Daniel Moore, Principal, DPM Recovery
- Reward challenge: staff recruitment and retention – Peter Tulau, Director, AltoPartners Australia
- The giving and taking of FEG funds – Stephen Humphreys, Litigation Funding Specialist, Recovery and Litigation Branch, Department of Jobs and Small Business
- Impact of safe harbour reforms for the SMP market - Jason Porter, Director, SV Partners
- Challenges of reliable asset valuations – Tim Slattery, National President, Auctioneers and Valuers Association of Australia
- Retail challenge: a practical case study in trading-on – Liam Bailey, Partner, O’Brien Palmer
- Insights into online payments and their impact for IPs – Scott Lingard, Payments Consultant
- Panel discussion on the impact of the ATO’s changing superannuation reporting and payment processes, including single touch payroll. Panellists include Rachel Burdett-Baker, Director, RAD Advisory and Mathew Gollant, Principal, Courtney Jones & Associates.
Download the conference program
Held at the boutique QT Hotel, this year's event offered plenty of networking opportunities in the professional yet relaxed atmosphere that only a destination event can offer.
The conference fee included the Welcome Reception on Wednesday 18 April at Hemingways Brewery, Port Douglas Marina. Also included was the open-air Rainforest Grove Conference Dinner on Thursday 19 April.
Rates to attend
| (All prices include GST)
|| Early bird
|| Regular rate
(from 9 March)
| Conference & Dinner
| Dinner Guest / Partner
| Welcome Reception Guest / Partner